Search Kienbock's Girl's Blog

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Misconception Is ...

I would love to be able to tell everyone that asks me that I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I would love to be able to say "Yes, why I did break my arm. I fell off my bike." I would thoroughly enjoy saying to people "No, it doesn't hurt."

Kienböck's disease is not something you talk lightly about in small talk. I get sick and tired of every single person at stores who question me, and then proceed to make absolutely no effort to assist me. I mean, put the damn detergent in my cart already! It's a long and difficult disease to discuss and I don't want, nor do I have time, to stand here and discuss this with you. It's a lot like someone's cancer journey. I say this not to belittle cancer, but to compare the length of conversation regarding condition. I mean, you don't just walk up to someone wearing a pink ribbon (in example) and say "How's your breast cancer going?" Or even "You have breast cancer?" It's a history, a drawn out story of obstacles, choices, setbacks and accomplishments. It's similar for Kienböck's disease in that respect.

Look, I would LOVE to educate the public on my rare disease. It does affect people, albeit a VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE of the population. But, we're still people. We still have lives, jobs, families, livelihoods, etc. Even though there are probably less than 200,000 of us in the US alone, and it's very likely that almost none of us will ever meet another person in person who has our disease, we are still people. We still matter. Our disease does count.

The problem I have, however, is this: It's not something simple like asking about the weather. If someone is in a leg cast and they're waiting in line in front of me, I just assume they have an injury and leave them the hell alone. Not my business if they fell off a boat, down the stairs, off a skateboard, or anything. I just think to myself that they're leg is injured, and move on. I don't strike up a conversation and say "Hey, that's a bright pink cast you have there." It's like waking up and seeing that the sky is blue and the grass is green. It just is, accept it, and move on.

It's exasperating to have to explain to every single person who asks. Why? A) They don't know you, and likely don't really care. B) Everyone else asks the SAME QUESTIONS. C) It's none of your business. D) I don't know them or feel comfortable telling them I live with a dead bone in my arm in excruciating pain. That's medical knowledge between me, my doctor and my family. I don't like thinking of it constantly, or being reminded regularly.

The misconception of having Kienböck's disease is that it's something people want to talk about. Just because you have a cast on, you want to tell your story - or something weird like that. Well, it's NOT CURABLE, SO NO, I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT. I get sick to death of talking about it.


So, next time you're standing in line at the grocery store, or you're interacting with people at work, or you meet someone somewhere that has a cast or a splint or a brace.... they're a human being. They're not a robot question station. They know you from diddly squat and would like to be left in peace. Let them just live their life and go on their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment