Search Kienbock's Girl's Blog

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Can We Just Acknowledge That?

So, I went through surgery last August, and then I went through a rough disability patch at work, to working full-time. I jumped back into a corporate climate that required me to work overtime without prejudice of my condition. It was tough. I attended therapy 2-3 times a week, and worked 9 hour days, then came home to give piano lessons for another 2-3 hours. This is on top of the housework and chores and pets as my husband works full-time and goes to school full-time while he is also in a band that practices 2 nights a week.

And, come to find out in late February of this year, that further treatment was necessary. I needed an ulnar joint leveling because the doctor that leveled my radius, did not create the room necessary and the ulna was now too long and not in line with my carpals. This was causing severe arthritis to develop on the bones, putting me in stage 3B. It's frightening.

I was barely making it through a work day. I would often cry at my desk, forcing myself to continue to use the computer non-stop for 9 hours straight. I would take little breaks to complete my occupational therapy exercises, making me look ridiculous to any passersby in my office as I work on the end of a row of cubicles that everyone in the company, including the director of my department, passes all day.

So there I was, forcing myself to work, pushing myself to complete what needed to be done and contribute to the team. It was impossible. I would go home and want to collapse, do nothing. I would be so exhausted at night, that I either passed out, or couldn't sleep. I was going to work every morning with dark puffy eyes, leaving work in the middle of the day for therapy, skipping lunch and shoveling it down in the car, returning to work, going nonstop from 4am to 3pm ... then going later until all my piano students had left for the evening. There was no time for rest. There was no time for making dinner. There was no time for me.

It's now July, and I am once again on disability from work. I've been home since March 23rd, and have been utterly miserable. I'm afraid for my job every day. I am afraid for my financial situation. I get pennies, and then I have to pay all my medical coverage (because they no longer take it out of my paycheck on disability), and then pay all of my medical bills. This leaves me no money to pay rent, no money to pay utilities, no money to buy groceries.... 

And then once again, I am alienated by the people I work with. They stress me out. I have certain ones who just want to text me to complain and say "When are you coming back? I can't deal with this anymore!" And then I have the ones that promised to visit or help me out and just like last time, they conveniently forget out me once I'm out of sight.

Then I get the people who TELL ME WHO I AM. I get tired of it. I explain my disease to them, and they completely disregard the information I disseminate. Well, let me tell you who I am: I am a person with a debilitating bone disease that cannot be cured and who knows her own body and its limits. Don't touch my arm. Don't tell me to get more sun on my scar. Don't tell me that you can't wait until I get back to work. Don't tell me I'll feel better. Don't say that I can ride a bike or roller skate. Don't tell me I should be resting. Don't say I shouldn't pick up my nieces and nephews for hugs and kisses. I am a person who lives Kienbock's disease. It's part of me. It's part of who I am. It does define me to a degree. I'm fragile. I'm vulnerable. I'm scared. I'm stressed out. I'm sad.

I'm a person who just had a very rough surgery and who is still recovering from the trauma of it all. I'm having a difficult time. Can we just acknowledge that?


2 comments:

  1. Its good to work hard for a better life, but if working compromises your health and well-being, there is'nt much point to it. We should all learn to keep a balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are David Clara I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is David Sandra I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me

    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whatsapp him +2348110114739 visit his website Drsakuraspellalter.webs.com for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com or whatsApp me +1(6)31906022

    ReplyDelete